Piropos

For those of you who are unfamiliar with piropos, here’s another Spanish lesson for you. A piropo is another word for a catcall or a flirtatious comment – these are quite abundant and frequent in countries in Latin America (well, in many countries outside of the U.S.), and especially in Buenos Aires.

If you’ve read any of my previous blog posts, you’ll know that I’m generally able to avoid about 40% of piropos just because of my appearance and my in-the-process-of-being-perfected porteña walk. However, this does not rule out the other 60%. One of the teachers at FLACSO informed us that even if we are at any point walking with a boy, although the comments and whistles may stop, the stares and once-overs certainly will not. The thing about piropos is, it doesn’t matter what time of day it is – the men will be men whether or not there is daylight.

Today, I walked to FLACSO from my house. It is such an easy walk, and although about 24 blocks total, I figured I could use the exercise and the sunshine, as it was a beautiful and sunny 65 (F) this morning. On the way there, I counted 3 piropos (which for 24 blocks is like nothing!) and a few mumbles, including being called “la más hermosa mujer del mundo” (the most beautiful woman in the world). As much as I appreciated that, it held no weight coming from a rando on the side of the street. After meeting up with some friends for lunch, a few of us decided to go to the Teatro Colón. We got there. It was closed. We continued walking around a little more, exploring a different area, and I had to head back to FLACSO for my oral exam. The exam was fairly basic, just conversational, for the staff to decide whether the students can take classes at UBA (which would mean that the classes would be larger and probably more difficult), which we find out on Wednesday.

The weather today was beautiful at times, but it also poured other times, and right now it is storming like there’s no tomorrow! I was supposed to go to dinner with Paula (a friend from Elon who lives in Buenos Aires), Kayla (another friend from Elon who studied abroad here and came back for a few weeks in the summer), and Josh (a fellow FLACSO student from Elon), but I decided not to venture out in the dark pouring rain, and opted to stay cozy and dry in my house!

Tomorrow we have a workshop called, “Seguridad en Buenos Aires I” (security/safety in Buenos Aires) – about time. Considering piropos don’t wait until you’re ready for them, this workshop may be a bit overdue!

Hopefully tomorrow is less rainy!

xoxo,

Genevieve

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Travel

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s